coppercoins.com

Index div  FAQ  div  Search  div  Memberlist  div  Usergroups  div  Register  div  Log in 
back to coppercoins home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Canon SX120 Digi Camera.

Canon SX120 Digi Camera.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone have this camera, or know all of the features? I am interested if the remote shooting feature, which my Powershot A590 IS, is not supported. The camera appears to be quite adecuatte for the close-up coin-shooting, I plan to use it for, but....If no remote shutter control, then it is all for naught. Any help here, would be very much appreciated.
Dick

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I've never need a remote shooting feature or a tri-nocular. I just shoot down the one barrell to get an image. Works best for me that way.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Coop, I have to agree, but at the same time, I have been using another camera(s) that have this feature, all using the software for the one camera. I guesds I got "spoiled". I would like to take photos, that are much better focused, and think that might be an idea.
Dick

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote

On my bi-nocular scope I use one eye only to take photos through. I close one eye and focus and use that one lens to take images through. When I didn't use this method the images were not in focus because I used both lens. So by separating the image shots through one lens I get a lot better image.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote

Coop, my procedure is slightly different, but I believe it accomplishes the same thing. I use one lens to focus on the coin thru the scope, and then focus the image on the computer monitor, thru the camera, looking thru the other lens. I set both eye-pieces to the same setting for the first focus. Then move the whole head to focus thru the camera. Is there any difference? Maybe that is why I don't get the focus I want. Just a thought.
Thinking about it, the reason I use this method, is because I increasse the area of coverage with the one lens, (thru the camera). Because of this problem, per se, I am working on a means to mount the camera, rigid on the scope, and use the main focus for the shot.
Dick

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote

That might be your problem, using the second adjustment. thus I only use the one eye piece to focus in best. Also I might add to focus on the field and not on the tops of the devices. The focus on the field gives the the best shot. Preferably in the center of the shot. Cent of a mint mark or the outside area next to the mint mark works best. Something you might try is to reduce your angle of focus of your ramp. If it is too steep it will distort the outer edges of the image and be focused in the center. To flat and I find the light will be to low. Best thing to do is to experiment. Try this, try that. Keeps what works for you and will will eventually find the best setup for your images that your setup will allow. That is where I would start before buying a new camera. You might have the same problem with a new camera because of a setup issue. I always try everything first before moving on to the next camera/scope/lighting issue. Learn from your mistakes, keep what works.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Coop, I have spnt p most of the day, making test shots, just using the camera, and the existing lighting. I made over 200 shots, and have gone thru most. I don't like what I have seen. That does not say I have also gone to the software to crop, etc. I'm working for a full face shot, that is in focus, and using the next largest resolution. That way I have some leeway, if needed. The maim problem , is that the camera is so complex, and I can't keep my concentration on that long, to where it begins to make sense. I am going to use the older 8 MP, w/o the optical power, and see what works there. Then maybe try to learn the Canon. I was trying to set the A/F to 1/500, and F2.8. Then changed to F8.0, with the same shutter speed. Nothing noticable, (or my eyes don't perceive it). I will keep yrying. sooner, or later sometyhing will fall into place that makes sense, and gives me what I wany. It might be helpful, if I actually knew what I want to do. Or better said, HOW to get it done.
Dick

Page 1 of 1
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Canon SX120 Digi Camera.

coppercoins.com © 2001-2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours