coppercoins.com

Index div  FAQ  div  Search  div  Memberlist  div  Usergroups  div  Register  div  Log in 
back to coppercoins home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow "oval shape"

"oval shape"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Coop, I am using a scope with an eye-well camera, and it gives me a distinct oval look to the picture. I am NOT using a ramp. I have used this camera before, and it was workinmg, okay, considering that it needed new "O"-rings. These have been installed, but now ithe picture is oval-dhaped. Your, or anyone elsees thoughts?
Dick

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Probably help more with an image??

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Coop, I would post a pgoto, if I coiuld get the computer to catch up with theglacial flow, but it is much to fast for it! I have tried to capture the video, but nothing is working. I am getting a bit frustrated, and that usully means something is going to get tossed!. Not the world, just yet. Maybe tomorrow, but not today! I'll post a photo, if, and when I can.
dick

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Dick: The reason I mentioned a Photo was to see if the oval view was distorting the coin as well. If so you can edit the image to make it square and see if things are looking correct. If the coin devices are not distorted, then it would be another issue that I haven't thought of yet.

The solution to the oval to round is fairly simple. You just crop the image of the oval right to the edges of the oval. Then re-size th image making it square in demintions. IE if the image is 200 X 260 pixels, make the image 200 X 200 and it will make it into a circle. That will work it the image is also distorted. If it looks normal just in an oval.... I haven't thought that far ahead yet. But I'm guessing the first solution should make it correct.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Coop, I have gone back and tried to take a photo, and can't. I don't know if that was the reason for not using this camera, or not. It is not doing that now. Why? Good question, not that it makes any difference. Because If I can't recover the photo for other uses, then the question is moot. I like the ability to get a sharper focus on the camera, but If I can't use the photo, then I'll have to use a different one. I'll figure it out. I don't give that easy! Re the "oval shape", I recall you telling me about that at first. Yes it does work. Use the long axis, and stretch the short one. It will come out round!
I am going to a dual monitor setup, and use an application called "zoom-text". It will take the text from the screen and put it across the two monitors, so I can read it a lot easier. We are going to use my fastest computer MB/CPU, and RAM. If it doesn't work, I may get a new computer to work with it. VA's idea. The V.I.S.T. Administrator.
Dick

KurtS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm exactly qualified to comment, but mind if I try? Very Happy
The first thing to do is establish the lens is perpendicular to the plane of the coin. With a long enough lens, you can sometimes "eyeball" the lens axis against the coin. Another method is to use a bubble level on the tripod or a camera surface that should be at right angles to the lens axis. Here I should note that lenses with less than "flat field" quality are more prone to distortion by whatever degree the lens if off the perpendicular. In other words, they will exaggerate these differences of positioning to the subject, ie coin. This is a common problem when using point-and-shoot cameras that don't have a specialized flat-field macro lens.

That might be a good starting point, and if that checks out, there's a possibility that something like an internal lens element if misaligned. That's a pretty unlikely scenario for most cameras, excepting damage.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Kurt, You have a good point there. But, I like to "try" to get the camera/scope axis, or axies lined up by cheching the permiter for focus, and when one side is out, I raise, or lower very slightly that side while checkng the focus. We are talking the M/M movements, naturally. The bubble level is very handy for basic level. This case is a pair of "O-rings, actually three, two on the barrel, and one on the adaptor ring. this should give good alignment with the lensin the well. This time, I think I was looking at it off-center, and it gave the illusion of being an oval. I have checked full size looking at the coin, and full zoom close-up, and both seem okay. Your explanation of the lack of alignment, very definitely will gove distoetion. Many of my photos demonstrate that fact. But the detail theat was being shown was clear, and the outer area was of no consequence, so it waas out of focus. I use the "rotating ramp" to adjust the focus at times, where I am "up against the camera", and need to adjust the focus, turning the base, and rotating the ramp will return the focus, without adjusting the scope focus control. Confusing, but effective. I am satisfied withbthe focus,now, and I'll also figure a way to use the photo. I can be pretty stubborn at times, especially if it is to my advantage to be so. Thanks for the ideas, and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Dick

cnladue
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote

DICK I HAVE ALOT OF MEMORY ,NOT IN MY HEAD,BUT SITTING AROUND HERE WITH PENNYS.I HAVE SDRAM , DDR , 512s MAYBE EVEN A 1 GIG YOU NEED ANY?

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Carol, I could use some. I'll have to check to see what it takes, and see if it will handle 1 Gig. It uses DDR, and looks like it will handle up to 2gigs, max. What do you have available, and what do you want for it? BTW, I think the VA is providing me a computer with a dual monitor output card, and two 19" monitors. It will also have "Zoom-Text". I understand it will make text very big, and across the two screens. that will make it east to see! I use the XP maginfier to get the text big enough to see,and take it from there. They also provided a CCTV system soI can read papers, ansd mags. sure helps a lot! Now if I could get the keys on the keyboard about three times the size they are, maybe I could type something, without having to try to proof-read it!. Problenm is, if I lift my hand when writing, I have to start over, because I can't see the numbers, or letters. It is frustrating, because I can see all around me, as good as anyone,but direct agead? Forget it. They said I might even get "Point-and-speak". I hope it can "see" better than I can! I realize this has nothing to do with coins, but it will make it much easier to see the coins, and maybe even find some "goodies"!
Later: If I had read the posts above, I would not have repeated myself so many times!
Even Later!:Kurt, I did a little "stuffing, and the results can be seen in the "new finds", today. I added sone short oieces of tape to the sidea of the adaptor, and some in the well . It is a bit more stable, now. I also used a flat mount for the coinrest.

cnladue
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote

DICK DO YOU HAVE 1 GIG IN IT ALREADY OR 1 512?I THINK I HAVE A I GIG TO SPARE AND ALSO A 512-YOU LET ME KNOW-I WANT YOU TO USE IT AND KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO HERE CAUSE I LOOK FOWARD TO IT,,,OK?

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote

Carol, I have a 512MB, and a 128MB stick in the machine. I don't know if either is SDRAM, or not. Reading the info, it says to use SDRAM.. could be that it is not. It could also exlain why it is as slow as molassas in alaska!
About me keeping on doing what I have been doing here, Hmmm. I am not too sure the rest will agree with you, but, for my new daughter, I'll do my best!
Dick

cnladue
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote

ok if it is sdram then i assume it is speed 133 vrs 100-how i tell is to look at the memory strip if it has one notch it is ddr and if it has 2 notches it is sdram-i would take out the 128 for a while and see if things are faster.if it is sdram i would also assume your board takes i gig max and i will look in my sdram for another 512.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Carol, you seem to be pretty well up on the thing, and I build them, and do everything I want with them, I am not computer literate. Here is the info re the rig: (I did not but it. My wife got it for fathers day in 2005). I am strictly a "generics" man.
eMachines
W3052
AMD Athlon(tm)XP
1.19GHz.
704MB RAM
120GB HDD
The RAM is a single notch, slightly off center, (for obvious reasons, lest "Murphy's Law" be applied).
The tag on the case says SDRAM, and I replaced the 128 with a 256. It did help a little, but I still have trouble with very low "virtual memory", and I have no idea about fixing it. The adjustments for that are allowing Windows to control the memory. If I could get one of my "Elite group" MB's to fit the case, it would have been already done. They also are "SATA" ready. I have an 80GB in one. The case has a lot to offer, so I am keeping it.

Bob, (and Chuck, please excuse my having gotten off-topic. This should have been moved, or dtarted in another thread. however, once one gets started, it is easy to continue, so as not to lose the other poster(s). My applolges.
Dick

cnladue
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote

i kinda feel if you started the thread you can drive it where you want....and i just located a 512ddr that is hopefully compatable .i will mail it on mon.i have way too much stuff so i am happy for you to have it.

Bob P
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote

Carol...its not a matter of starting a thread and driving it where you want, it's a matter of other folks being able to locate a thread based on a certain subject. In this case, we start by talking about oval shapes and ended up with computer specs and talk. Things like this between two people are best taken care of by private message. We will not make you go stand in a corner or take away birthdays (unless you really want us to), but we try to keep things on topic for ease of maintaining this board.
Also, I would like to mention that things can go off topic very easily in a thread. I have done it myself. So not a big deal in this case...OK?

bobp@coppercoins.com
mustbebob1@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow "oval shape"

coppercoins.com © 2001-2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours