coppercoins.com

Index div  FAQ  div  Search  div  Memberlist  div  Usergroups  div  Register  div  Log in 
back to coppercoins home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow gonna break down

gonna break down
Goto page 1, 2  Next

fiddle-fart
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm gonna break down and by me a microscope.
I would like feed back on this one if it is a good one for the price or can I find one alittle bit cheaper Very Happy

Also, since it comes with a set, set of powers, what does one want in this field(eg: 5 & 15X, 10 & 30X... etc.)

http://www.microscopeworld.com/MSWorld/detail.aspx?ID=8607

right now, I have a hand held one ( 10 & 100X) and in my opinion, the light source causes toooooo much glare.
So what kind of lighting would be best also..
Thanks
Mike

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote

The sell that I bought from on ebay doesn't have nay listed at this time. But this one is similar to what I have as far a zoom power. its a 7-45X zoom. That means it will zoom at your will between these oculars power. great for when too close it toooooo close and when too far is tooooooo far. You chose what you want to have in your image. The lighting is always a problem. Many have suggestions. It is just how much do you to spend for it.
Better price than the above:
http://store.amscope.com/sm-1b.html
I'm not affiliated with this sell, but it looks what I would buy if I didn't already have one.

fiddle-fart
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote

i like that one but I also would like a usb camera built in so I can take pics and post them if I need to for help(which I need desperately) ( in more ways then one) Rolling Eyes

with the set feature of power( 5x & 15X....etc. ) would 5 & 15 or 10 & 20 be better for viewing coins.... I know with the 200x that I have now I read toooooooo much ( see) in any given coin.

also still looking for that better deal (wife hoovering over me with a wooden spoon) with such a microscope.....

Mike

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote

You will be more happy with a zoom scope than the two power ones. Others here will be the first to tell you that. You always need an image somewhere in between the two powers you have. So I would keep my helmet on and wait for a better price on a zoom one. Maybe shin guard might help you hold out longer?
Here is what I use:

Ive changed my lighting system since that image, but the principle is still the same for location of the light.

No matter how hard I try, it's hard to get ahead!

coppercoins
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Mike - the scope in your first link is way too expensive for what it is. They do come much cheaper for the same thing - as little as $200.

My scope is an infinite zoom from .75x through 3.5x optical with 10X eyepieces - makes the scope zoom from 7.5X through 35X. Works fine for me.

Search around - the internet is a BIG place. You can find the same quality MUCH cheaper. Ebay would be a good start.

cd@coppercoins.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Mike, You have been given very good advice from all above. I also have the stereo-zoom scope like Chuck, and Coop. I have not modified my lighting, however. I also have a 2-power scope which I use for checking. It is 20X/40X. I was looking for a scope with the camera, as an integral part, but they are all too expensive for me. I hope you find something, that will fulfil your desires. You might check with SuperDave on CCF, or Kurt, here on our forum. They have some very nice pictures. BTW, they use 100mm lens for their shots, and they come out beautiful. I have a 105mm zoom lens, but haven't figured out how i am going to use it with my Canon Powershot A590 IS, which I recently purchased, (and haven't figured out all those knobs, dials, buttons, and two books of instructions)! SuperDave also has posted a picture of his setyp, with the lighting, and all.. It is worth checking out. You mifght get some ideas on what you can do with a whole lot less money. That might save the need for a steel helmut, and/o shin-guards! Wink
Dick

fiddle-fart
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Dick..
After being married for 30 yrs, one might think that I might be numbed from all the head banging etc. Several yrs ago I got tired from the slapping for mispelling alll the words( she ain't here now Laughing ) so I bought a qiuck reference dictionary..
No, she ain't really that bad, love her to death( thats what I promised her ) she's just a stickler on grammer and spending money.....( the things I have to do for something I want Cool )
(whats hers is hers and whats mine is hers)

But getting back to the subject at hand..... I would like one with a ccd built in, this way I can take a pic before my memory starts to wander( sometimers disease)....

I agree with everybody that multi powers is good thing... but now, like chuck said finding a decent one..... CHEAP

Mike

fiddle-fart
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote

OK......I am soliciting any thoughts, impressions, opinions, and any other information that will tell me that I'm heading in the right direction. I'll admit, that I not the smartest cookie out of the batch, and this is why I ask others to help...
so HELP
http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-TRINOCULAR-STEREO-ZOOM-MICROSCOPE-7X-45X_W0QQitemZ200263104138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200263104138&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
with this I'm thinking of buying a 1.3m ccd camera that is going to take pics on the Questions I will be asking( so be prepares Laughing Laughing )

thanks
Mike

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Mike, I was looking for something like that, about three years ago, but the $1000.00 price-tag was too far out of my budget, that I passed, and ended up paying $500.00 for a re-furbished dioptical 6-45 stereo-zoom scope. It is nice, and I have used it for shooting pictures thru it with a camera. The probmel obviously is the position of the camera, and the eye-piece. You can't make any focus adjustments, due to the change in focus between the camera, and scope. I made a small platform to off-set that, and it works fine. I cannot get a large image of coins as do kurt, and others. Also, due to my vision problems, I need to see the coin, etc, for any comments, and with thr camera mounted, the scope was out. I bought a second scope, ( ST-20, from DSS, on ebay), which has 20X/40X. it works fine, but is useless for the same reason as the other, image size. I got a bew camera, with 4X optical power, and it helps. Now the 100mm lens for making large images is the next project. it goes without saying, I have my work layed ut for me. You will enjoy your equipment, once you get it, and become used to the operation. Then you will begin to work on the lighting. That is another major problem, as well, but I'm sure you will resolve that, too
Dick

neutreno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote

Any scope is out of my price range. Was thinking about previous post that wished they could shoot straight down through light source.

Has any body tried Circular florecent bulbs found at Lowe's? Or a workbench magnifier minus the mag lens in the middle.

I know that most modern cameras have a setting to correct for this wavelenght of light.

Neutreno

coppercoins
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote

fiddle-fart - still too expensive for what it is, and there's no real need for the trinocular tube. You're paying an extra $200 just for that.

Neutreno - Ring lighting has been proven to be very bad for trying to take images of coins. The shadows provided by bidirectional lighting are necessary for depth.

cd@coppercoins.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Brilliantcents

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote

I am getting sick and tired of the camera/loupe method of taking upclose images of varieties.

The first is from brent-kreuger

http://www.brent-krueger.com/scopes.htm

second is from markjohnsoncoins (the second one down)
http://www.mjcoins.com/coin_microscopes.htm

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote

brilliantcents, I have the same thing as you show, the 20X/40X binocular scope). It is very handy. I got it to be able to check my coins, as well as to make photos of them, at the same time. I had to tear down the photography setup to view the coins, and it got very tiresome The other scope is like several of the others here, stereo-zoom,etc. I also have the QX-3, which is good, but has it's limitations, primarily lighting, but I may have that resolved, now, thanks to some very helpful info from several members of this, and another forum.Once I have it up, and running to my satisfaction, I will post the info.
Dick

Brilliantcents

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote

Cd. do you have a picture of your microscope/photo setup. You said that you made a pvc attachment. I would like to see what it looks like.
Knob Noster MO
660-563-9877

fiddle-fart
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote

well I did, right or wrong, it's gonna work....

1) Computer while searching Coppercoins I can listen to
http://www.deezer.com/ while playing my favorite songs
2) keyboard
3) Coffee cup must have for me Laughing
4) Scale
5) microscope 7.5-45
6) red book ( Chucks book close at hand )

I'm not affiliated with Deezer in any way shape or form.... I just love my music

(See, I do keep a spelling dictionary close at at hand) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mike

Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow gonna break down

coppercoins.com © 2001-2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours