coppercoins.com

Index div  FAQ  div  Search  div  Memberlist  div  Usergroups  div  Register  div  Log in 
back to coppercoins home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Hi Again,I need some pointer's so i can post better images,

Hi Again,I need some pointer's so i can post better images,

My2CentsWorth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote

I use my scanner because my cam isn't that great!! Dark actually!
How do you guy's get such good pix?
Thanks!!! Confused

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote

I use a camera through a microscope for very close up images. But for full coins you might try putting a dark piece of material behind the coin to keep the glare off the scanned coin. Also setting your pixels at a higher setting on your scanner may help.

My2CentsWorth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote

My cam isn't much at all,It's a small dig and vid cam but doesn't show anything really good...lol
I miss my Kodak easy share that i donated to the shark's at Flagler Beach in Florida 2 yrs. ago.my first vacation ever in my life......I'd say the shark's have my pic posted on the seawall and have a good laugh daily still!! Embarassed

eagames
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I'm a cheapo caveman, I use a camera and add some lenses from small magnifying glasses rolled in a piece of thin cardboard that slips onto my cameras lense.

It can't compare with a decent microscope but it can get a close up to show doubling.

Wink

coppercoins
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote

The only real and 'official' answer is to use a decent digital camera and a microscope. Really, a decent digitacl camera can be had for under $200, and a microscope, at the minumum, is $100-$150. Lighting will be an issue, which can be solved on a case by case basis for usually under $50. That's really the only way to do the 'good' photos.

You want excellent photos and a very happy searching adventure through coins, buy a nice stereo-optical microscope with infinite zoom, a nice 5MpX or larger digital camera, and a fiber optic light guide halogen lamp. Unfortunately the nice toys cost more. $300-$500 for the scope, $250-$300 for the camera, and $300+ for the light.

cd@coppercoins.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

My2CentsWorth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Sound's good to me but Santa won't be bringing me a cam for quite a few year's....LoL
I bought,believe it or not 4 digicam's from ebay in 2 month's time,they all did the same job....(nothing)!
My grandson has all but one now! Laughing

RC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote

My wife just recently bought me a mini bionic eye microscope..
(Yep, the toy Eye Clops Smile ) Below is a picture of my tv sceen with the coin being magnified by the microscope.. Not bad for a 20.00 toy.! Photography made simple & it definetly beats a loop.
I believe it will do much better.! This is the first picture I have tried to take..

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote

The problem with getting images off you TV or monitor is that you have those lines on it. The TV also makes the image curved. I've experimented with moving farther away from the screen and using the zoom. It helped a little.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote

RC, I use a TV image to look at the image, but not for photos. Your camera application should have provisions to recover the images, and also process them. Most of mine do. I don't post "processed pictures, yet. I am not that good at processing them. Mine are "raw", and shot thru a scope. I am in the process of making a lighting setup, to make close-ups, using the Optical zoom, ( up to 4X), and try to show the details, better. I will say this, "lighting is everything"! Just look at those shots by Kurt, or SuperDave, and several others. They set a standard that is not easy to achieve, but, I have the time, and determination, so keep an eye on my posts, (later), when I make my attempts.
There are several reasons for using the TV screen to view the images. It makes them big enough to see what is there, and tell the diffeence between a Hub doubled image, and a machine doubled one. Sometimes they can be easily confused.
Dick

RC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote

That was actually the first time I had tried to take a picture of the TV screen.. I can see where it would help to get further away though. I can get slightly clearer pics thru my loop with the cammera but they are not as magnified + I need natural diffused light or its very hard for me to get a decent pic..

Below is about as good as I can get out of the loop.. Some day, I will quite being so cheap & buy a decent scope.

Dick
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote

RC, what is the date on that coin? It shows what looks like trails. Comments?
Dick

eagames
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote

I see the trails on it too.
You might want to post it in the variety section so BJ notices it.
He'd probably be interested to see it. (in case he doesn't look in the photography section) Smile

RC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Its a old picture.! I actually found it last yr.. Pics like that are hard to get with the loop, so when I get one I think is acceptional, I keep it archived..
FWIW,Robert has already noted it as 1997 1der-004t with 20 degree offset. I actually sent him another at the same time & he noted it 1999p-1der-032t.. Also, he did note the '97 as a new entry. Not sure the value of these..?? I have found a few others & they do seem to be a little more commen than Doubled Die varieties,but of all I have found, I have never found 2 of the same date.! Anyhow,they are interesting pieces..

RC
Page 1 of 1
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Hi Again,I need some pointer's so i can post better images,

coppercoins.com © 2001-2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours