coppercoins.com

Index div  FAQ  div  Search  div  Memberlist  div  Usergroups  div  Register  div  Log in 
back to coppercoins home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Help with buying a digital camera please.....

Help with buying a digital camera please.....

louis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote

I've been doing some research on digital cameras and I would appreciate some advice. I will be using the camera for regular use (family pictures) as well as photographing coins to post on this web site. From what I understand, the camera should have:

1. Autofocus
2. Low compression ratio 3:1
3. CCD sensor
4. around 4 Megapixels (is this enough for coins?)
5. LCD display 1.5"
6. Optical Zoom 2x-3x
7. Macro mode about 1" or less (is this good for coins?)
8. Memory card 128mg - 256mg

My budget is around $250-$400. Is it possible to purchase a camera in that range that will photograph coin varieties large enough to be clearly seen on the website?

Also do I need additional software like Photoshop 7.0?

And finally, if I buy a microscope will the camera be able to capture the microscope image or do I need special attachments?

Thanks in advance to all who reply…………

coop
Expert Member
Expert Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Louis
1. Autofocus
2. Low compression ratio 3:1
3. CCD sensor
4. around 4 Megapixels (is this enough for coins?)
5. LCD display 1.5"
6. Optical Zoom 2x-3x
7. Macro mode about 1" or less (is this good for coins?)
8. Memory card 128mg - 256mg

The camera I use is an older camera. They usually run on Ebay in the $135 Dollar Range. I bought one from Bob as a backup. So far over 11,000 images and still clicking. Its a Sony FD-88. New it was in the $899 range. It does take both macro and regular image. The only draw back is that it is a floppy disk camera. Uses 3.25 disks (Not sure if that is the exact size). But the older floppies. I take images through a microscope with it with out a tripod or fixed attachment, just hold and click. The batteries can be purchsed cheaper on ebay than local businesses.
The second camera is a Sony FD-100. It has both floppies and small disk build into it. Haven't used it a lot as I'm trying to wear out the first one. They just keep on a clicking. Others may use new cameras, but I used the one I bought years ago cause I know how it works.
Quote:
Lous asked:
Also do I need additional software like Photoshop 7.0?

I use the 5.5 version. Again the older version, but also cheaper to buy than the newest version. The tips on images I've made use that version. The new versions: I don't know if they are better than what I'm using. It just works for me.

rollmeupabe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4500. I also have a microscope attachment which makes it really easy to get coin pictures. I think you can pick up this camera for under $150 on Ebay. See the following link http://photography.search.ebay.com/4500_Nikon_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfrisZ2QQfromZR10QQsacatZ46316

The attachment is a simple device also that screws onto the camera lens and wraps around the microscope lens. You can pick this up for under $30.

Here are some sample pictures I have taken with the camera.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/johnemorgan/1957D%20DDO%20and%20RPM/
Page 1 of 1
coppercoins.com Forum Index arrow Coin Photography Help arrow Help with buying a digital camera please.....

coppercoins.com © 2001-2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours